Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Liquid Laundry Soap

Don't you just love being Self Reliant?

Anywho, the other night at Enrichment we had a laundry soap making class. I've never tried to make laundry soap. (I tend to be pretty picky about my laundry soap.) But, this soap is amazing. And it's WAY cheap! I haven't actually bought the ingredients yet for myself. But I did catch a glimpse at someone else's receipt and they did great for how much laundry soap they got! $10 (with tax) for 6 gallons of laundry soap! I mean hello! Amazing! hehe

Plus, it doesn't "sudz" so you can use it in a front loading washer and know it won't hurt it.

Okay, onto the recipe!


1/3 Bar Fels Naptha Soap (5.5 oz bar)
1/2 Cup Washing Soda (not baking)
1/2 Cup Borax Powder
1 TBSP Essential Oil (You can find them at Michael's)
(2) 1 Gal Plastic jugs with lids

Step One-
Grate soap (we used cheese graters) and put into large saucepan with 6 cups of water over medium heat. Heat until water and soap melt.
Step Two-
Add washing soda, borax and oil. Stir until oil is dissolved. Set timer for 5 minutes over heat and stir occasionally. Remove from heat and let sit another 5 minutes.
Step Three-
Using a funnel put 1/2 of the mixture in each 1 gal jug. Fill each jug 1/2 way with hot water and shake. Finish filling the jug to the top with hot water, and shake again.
Step Four-
Set aside for 24 hours. And when soap is gelled and looks like egg whites your soap is finished!


Use 1/3 to 1/2 cup per load. (Depending on size)
Optional- Use 1/2 cup Vinegar to act as a softener for your clothes

Some of the lady's chose to buy a 5 gallon bucket and mix everything together and others (like me) chose to just use a 2 quart juice container. Personally, I'm glad I used the smaller containers so it's easier to pour into my mixing cup and re-shake since sometimes the soap and water separate...

Have Fun!! :D


No comments: